On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Neil D. Jackson wrote:

> They don't show up at all, Kerstin
>
> A 'timed-out' request (from the visitor's point-of-view) never actually
> reached your server, or got a reply back to the visitor - that's why they
> are seen by them as 'timed-out' (and not 'refused', or 'non-existent', or
> some other error). So the server has no way of knowing they were ever made,
> hence, cannot record anything to that effect.

That's true, but there is an HTTP code "408 Request Timeout", if the server
gives up waiting for the client. I can't work out when this comes about
though.

> The nearest you might see is an error 206, which means 'content incomplete'
> or 'transfer incomplete' or similar. I get this occasionally on a big WMV
> video file tutorial on my site, which sometimes people watch half-way
> through, and then cancel the viewing at their side. In those circumstances,
> because the cancellation emanates from their side, and is responded to (and
> cancelled) by my server, it CAN record a 206 error.

No, 206 doesn't mean that. It means that the client requested only part of
the file, and the server successfully delivered the range that was asked
for.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
  "Low Priced Cambridge Clare College. Big selection at eBay UK!"