Jeremy,

I wonder if what Fritz is asking is whether Analog can use information to analyse logs for certain (types of) sites being accessed from within his organisation. I use analog to analyse outbound proxy server access to determine general trends in access, (as well as identifying people hogging bandwidth with streaming services, or film trailer or game downloads when they should be working). I'm assuming that Fritz is asking whether Analog can combine websites into, and report on, categories such as "sports", "travel", "news", gambling", "music".

I know our outbound proxy server uses filtering software that has specific categories blocked by default (porn, crime, gambling etc) but this info doesn't appear in any logfiles or lookup files, and I suspect the vendors of the software aren't going to make that list public. Would there be a way to use ALIAS to create your own category information?

I use the Directory Report to list the top websites accessed but go no further than the host/domain part of the URL. For example ...

19507290:   http://news.bbc.co.uk/
12163119:   http://www.google.com/
 6125362:   http://www.google.co.uk/
 5106671:   http://www.skynews.com/

For example we might want to create subheadings and group the above into "Search Engines" (the two Google entries) and "News" (BBC and Sky).

Wallace.

Jeremy Wadsack wrote:

Analog has ALIAS commands that allow you to have it treat any pattern of data as a different pattern. This is probably the easiest way to make categories. There are two types of aliases -- those that work at the data level and affect all reports, effectively grouping multiple items together. Aliases that work at the report level only affect the display of individual lines in the report.

Fritz Schantz wrote:

Hi all
I don't even qualify as a newbie, as I have not installed Analog yet. I am looking for an alternative to webtrends firewall suite 4.1c, which will no longer be compatible with our Symantec Enterprise firewall when we upgrade it to version 8. Everthing I've read so far makes Analog seem like a no-brainer. I have not yet seen in my readings whether catagorizing can be done for outbound activity. That is my concern - is catagorization possible in Analog?

Wallace Nicoll                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BT Consulting and Systems Integration,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Telephone House, 357 Gorgie Road,              Phone : 0131 345 4823
Edinburgh, EH11 2RP, Scotland                    Fax : 0131 313 3582
[From overseas                                     [P]+441313454823]

This Email and files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for
the sole use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed. If
you have received this Email in error please notify the sender immediately and
delete it without using, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its
contents to any other person. The Council has endeavoured to scan this Email
message and attachments for computer viruses and will not be liable for any
losses incurred by the recipient.