On Friday, May 05, 2006 11:32 AM [EDT],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I need to set up an Analog report for a domain alias to a main site.
> For example, the main site is "www.tasafyns.com" and the domain alias
> is "www.tasafyn.com".  (We've got plural and singular versions of the
> domain pointing to the same server).

I presume tasafyn.com is a made up example, as it doesn't resolve for me.
Can you confirm that both names resolve to the same IP address, and that if
you access that IP address from your browser that you get to your site?

> The site is being hosted on IIS.  There is no referrer field in the
> web log.  I need to generate a report of the requests that come from
> "www.tasafyn.com" as opposed to the main domain name,
> "www.tasafyns.com".  I can see nothing in the logs that I could use
> to filter the report; however, when I look at the referring sites
> report, "www.tasafyn.com" shows up as a referring site.

If there is a Referring Sites report, then Analog is seeing a Referrer field
in your logs. Analog will not generate a Referring Site report if it can't
find any referrers.

> How is analog resolving this and determining that the hit came from
> "www.tasafyn.com" for the referring site report?

Because that's what's recorded in the Referrer field :-)

>  I've tried doing
> reverse DNS lookups on the client IP addresses with no luck.  The
> server IP address is the same for every line in the log, so that
> doesn't help me.  There is not a referrer field in the log, so I
> don't see how Analog is arriving at the number for "www.tasafyn.com".
>
> If I could figure that out, I could use the same technique to create
> a separate report with numbers strictly for "www.tasafyn.com".
>
> Anyone have any idea how to generate a report for a domain alias
> based on the above criteria.

If you've configured your web server to ignore the difference between both
domain names then Analog won't be able to report on the difference, because
it's not being recorded. Even a Referring Sites report doesn't really tell
you what you want to know, because it only tells you what names are being
used after "visitors" arrive at your site, it doesn't tell you what names
are used on the links that they follow to get there.

IIS 5 and above allow you to log the hostname used in HTTP requests
(cs-host). You should turn that field on if you want this kind of
information. If you're using ASP pages on your IIS server, you might also
consider adding a few lines to your global.asa to log the hostname used and
the referring page.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lionel