On Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:02 PM [EDT],
Cody Carey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We host a number of different types of sites. We have plain apache and
netscape sites, special application sites, etc. The problem is alot of
our sites have custom log formats. This causes us alot of problems in
our processing of statistics. My basic question is if we created a
single universal log format that included just about every piece of
data what could the repercussions be aside from increased log file
size and processing time?

Log size can more than double if you include referrers and browser strings, if you weren't doing that before. Luckily, this is extremely compressible, because the strings are repeated so often. Adding cookies can also significantly increase the size of logs, depending on how many cookies are set by the applications.

But I can't think of any negative repercussions, other than increased log size.

Aengus