Hi Aengus

Thanks for the really quick reply.

> The documentation for cache files mentions this at both the start and
> the end of the page:

You are totally right and even though I read it there, I mis-interpreted its
semantics. I'll tell you why:

> Personally, my recommendation is that if your report layout and
> design hasn't been 100% static for at least 6 months, stay away from
> cache files.

In fact, I did thoroughly test the Analog configuration and was convinced that
even the monthly output will be rock-solid relying on the following assumptions:

 * The header displayed the correct date range
 * The daily report and summary displayed the correct date range
 * The hourly report and summary displayed the correct date range

This leads me to the question, why it is possible for Analog to retrieve the
correct date ranges in some of its reports but not for the overall and detailed
requests?

It appears to me as a contradiction to your conclusion that "the whole point of
a cache file is that you've discarded a bunch of infomation, such as the time
that each individual request was made, so the information that you need to
filter out requests that occur between the FROM and TO times isn't in the cache
file".

Not wanting to say you are not right here, too; just wondering where the date
information might come from. Is it still in the cache file, at least partially?

> And even if your layout has been static for that long, unless you're
> dealing with gigabytes per day of log files, cache files are more
> trouble than they're worth.

True, especially if this really should be a dead-end for my efforts. On the
other hand, even with small log files I would not want to keep all of them just
 to be able to extract some arbitrary date range or cumulate the overall
statistics, or would I?

Best regards,
Tobi