On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Ori Livneh <o...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>     ...and back to utf8 as default charset
>
>     The version of MySQLdb that is packaged for Precise does not know about
>     utf8mb4. I (inexcusably) tested against the dev branch of MySQLdb.

Bet that was a fun day :)  Somewhat like today for me...

We no longer use the precise packages. m2-master supports utf8mb4 if anyone
wishes to use it.

However, as Nuria mentioned, consistency with Mediawiki may be safest if we
expect that client packages will continue to have encoding challenges. Also
cross-db/charset joins to be considered.