Hi Kevin,

[ To keep archives happy, it seems this thread got broken off of
  https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/analytics/2015-February/003307.html
]

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 09:55:46AM -0800, Kevin Leduc wrote:
> Christian, can we just point the geowiki code to a different database?

Simple repointing does not work. But migration should be trivial
enough [1] nonetheless.

However, IIRC geowiki is kept in “at some point we're scheduling to do
it right”-state since more than a year. It has always been postponed.
This database change might be a nice incentive for finally doing it.

Have fun,
Christian

[1] As depicted in the diagram [2] from my previous email, geowiki
uses s1-analytics-slave in two different ways.

1. As a source for wiki data.
  (Top in the batch of the databases on the very left of the diagram)

  For this use, repointing is sufficient.

2. As a database to store daily aggregates.
  (Below the left-most grey rectangle)

  The “erosen_*” tables in the “staging” database hold the daily
  aggregates geowiki computes. Geowiki also generates the csvs using
  those tables. As the “staging” database is not replicated between the
  hosts, a plain repointing would at least cause data loss.

  But migration should be as simple as:

  * Copying the tables over from s1-analytics-slave to the new
    database server.
  * Making sure the “research” user has access from stat1003.
  * Rerunning geowiki for the lost-data (due to copying).

[2] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Geowiki_workflow.png

--
---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz