I posted on the talkpage, offering to provide any information I have, and
asking about the need for research.

I'm not aware of any research that has explicitly tested that hypothesis.
And the Barnstar paper is... controversial... among wiki researchers.

I wonder if there's a concern that implementing WikiLove will cause some
sort of harm to the wiki?

Jonathan