Thanks a lot for the info, Joseph and Nuria.

These "none" referrers are problematic for all the analytics teams out
there, it seems. When searching about around the issue of "none" referrers,
I found that it even drove Groupon to conduct an iffy experiment: they
"deindexed" themselves from Google for about 6 hours, finding that "Up To
60% Of “Direct” [i.e., referrer '-'] Traffic Is Actually Organic Search"...
https://searchengineland.com/60-direct-traffic-actually-seo-195415

Bob