> The only way is to help with the ongoing (and complex) differential
>> privacy work <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T307245>
>>

> I have systems background but probably this could be outside my skills.
> How could I help?

Hm, it's some tricky programming work, I'm not 100% sure of the latest
status or opportunities to get involved, but I'm cc-ing Hal Triedman to see
if he has thoughts. (Hal see archive
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/analytics@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/IKL3WOQ2UY7IMMCUTV7EYGT6PFVFLVCA/>
)

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Page_view#Resulting_format

>>  If you are indeed interested in pageviews, the definition you linked to
>> talks about the data internally available.
>>

> Oh!
>

>>   Can I ask you to elaborate a bit more on why you need per-country data?
>>

> Well, First I've been looking for the most useful tools and sources
> available (and found very interesting many of them[1]). Second, in this
> precise case we are running a pilot project in which has been published
> some academic project results as Wikivoyage itineraries (3 in EN and 3 in
> ES). These are the articles we are interested in tracking now.
>
> About the rationale, one of the bigger drivers nowadays is the well known
> link between heritage, tourism and sustainability (example: the Sustainable
> Development Goals), so there is a trend to better analyze this context to
> study and plan. Usually touristic destinations have very well defined
> countries of origin. The best you know the origin, the best you can plan.
> Also there should be another positive impact in Wikimedia: new incentives
> for institutions to create or translate articles to the relevant languages.
> Always restrited to the heritage domain.  Here in Spain tourism is one of
> the main economic sectors and anything providing intelligence would help
> for better planning and conservation.
>
> Also, we have identified a new potential activity area about doing
> intelligence analysis of trends in heritage (interest of the public,
> changes in institutional focuses, new relevant practices, etc), not only
> about the Spanish one but worldwide. This is also an scientific institution
> and would find it very useful to collect the most precise traces available
> (with absolute respect to the users privacy) to look for signals they could
> use to refocus/prioritize their institutional goals.
>
> So, this is it.
>
> [1]  https://toolhub.wikimedia.org/lists/277

This is indeed a very interesting use case and a chance for this data to be
very helpful.  Unfortunately to my naive eyes, this granularity of data
also carries a big privacy cost.  The only way to get to it would be a
research collaboration, but there are *lots* of requests for those and not
enough researchers to help facilitate.  I'm honestly not sure there's an
easy way around this... but I'll keep thinking about it and I know it'll be
useful for Hal to see this kind of request and add it to his back burner.
Thanks for detailing!