Hi,

You can dismiss the dialog shown by showalert() by clicking the back button
on the emulator, if your dialog is cancelable.
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/content/Context.html#showAlert(java.lang.CharSequence,%20int,%20java.lang.CharSequence,%20java.lang.CharSequence,%20android.content.DialogInterface.OnClickListener,%20java.lang.CharSequence,%20android.content.DialogInterface.OnClickListener,%20boolean,%20android.content.DialogInterface.OnCancelListener)

If you want a show an alert which disappears automatically after a specified
duration or disappears on calling cancel(), consider using the Toast class
instead.

Sample code for using Toast:
The ApiDemos > apps> AlarmService.java,AlarmController.java

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Megha