You can make them whatever size you want.  A ListView just displays whatever
view the adapter passes to it.  So, for the API example that you linked to
the Adapter is set like this:

setListAdapter(new ArrayAdapter<String>(this,
android.R.layout.simple_list_item_1, mStrings));

This will use the built in android.R.layout.simple_list_item_1 layout file
(built into android).  Instead you could create a new layout file
(my_new_layout.xml) with a TextView named "text1" and pass this new layout
into the adapter:

setListAdapter(new ArrayAdapter<String>(this,
R.layout.my_new_layout, mStrings));

--

Zach Hobbs
HelloAndroid.com