Thank you logisic, that makes sense now that I read what the manifest
file wizard file says about regular permissions:

"The permission tag declares a security permission that can be used to
control access from other packages to specific components or features
in your package (or other packages)."

Versus "uses permissions":

"The uses-permission tag requests a security permission that your
package must be granted in order for it to operate correctly."

I'll try again with the changes and report my findings.