Well, I tried that.
I did this:

ListView list11= (ListView)findViewById(R.id.list1);

where list1 is the listView item in my xml file.

My xml file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RelativeLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
    android:orientation="vertical">

    <ListView  android:id="@+id/list1"
               android:layout_width="fill_parent"
               android:layout_height="fill_parent"
               android:background="#FFFFFF"
               android:layout_weight="1"
               android:drawSelectorOnTop="false"/>
</RelativeLayout>

But the ListView list11= (ListView)findViewById(R.id.list1); returns a
null pointer, note that I am using the new XML ID format like:
android:id="@+id/list1"
What could be the problem? Thanks.

Sylvester