Hi.

I strongly suggest executing the API demo within the emulator and then
taking a close look of the source code.

API demo comes with emulator, but you can check all the examples by
categories in: http://code.google.com/android/samples/ApiDemos/index.html.

I think studying the Views category is a good start.  Another option
is studying the 3 eGoogle examples at
http://code.google.com/android/intro/tutorial.html

Juan.