Mark, a couple of questions:

1. I looked at the getView funtcion:    View    getView(int position,
View convertView, ViewGroup parent).

  I can understand that position refers to the particular element on
the list and ViewGroup parent to the custom view I am using for the
list items. But what does View convertView stand for?

2. how am I supposed  to specify ViewGroup parent? send an object of
my custom component class?

3. Make a subclass of ArrayAdapter, override getView(), and use that
create your row Views, and take that opportunity to set your listener
on
your buttons.

Please elaborate about how this should be done.

Sylvester