> I want the user to be able to select text from the screen..much like
> we do when we copy paste from one document to another. Is there an
> easy way to do this? I need to know the exact string selected by the
> user.

hasSelection() will tell you if text is selected.

getSelectionStart() and getSelectionEnd() will tell you the offsets into
the text of the start and end of the selection/cursor (or -1 if there is
no selection/cursor).

In theory, you can use this, along with the text in the editor, to get the
selected text. I haven't tried this, so there may be issues, but it's
where I'd start.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com