codergeek82 wrote:
> If I already have an industry class mobile phone with Symbian why
> would i need to go for Android and android application.

If you like your Symbian phone, by all means, keep it. However, people
upgrade or replace phones all the time. Those people have a choice of
smartphones between Symbian, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, iPhone, and now
Android.

> Tell me one
> good reason to develop all the available applications on Android

Number of applications available on Symbian, after a decade of being
available in the marketplace: 9,282.

(http://www.symbian.com/news/pr/2008/pr20089950.html)

Number of applications submitted to the Android Developer Challenge, for
  a device that doesn't even exist yet, with an SDK that had only been
available a few months: 1,788.

(http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2008/04/android-developers-have-risen-to.html)

Suffice it to say, Android has promising early momentum, and Symbian has
a history of being painful to develop on.

> and
> does android is a replacement of Symbian or can it overlap on Symbian.

Android is a mobile device OS. Symbian is a mobile device OS. There may
be devices that could run either, but, generally speaking, any given
device will likely run one or the other (or neither, if the device is
for another mobile OS, like iPhone).

> Is it compatible to Nokia phones

Not presently.

> or do new phones have to be developed
> by these vendors winth androud compatibility.

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html

This is not significantly different than the new phones being developed
all the time for Symbian, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com