Hey Imran.

Did a quick test myself and encountered the same exception...

managedQuery(People.CONTENT_URI, new String[] { People.NAME }, null,
People.NAME+" ASC");
leads to:
java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: [...] requires
android.permission.READ_CONTACTS

I'll try some things and will post the results if I solved the
problem.

Phil