public class TestMapActivity extends MapActivity {

    private static MapView mMapView;
    private GeoPoint mDefPoint;

    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

        requestWindowFeature(Window.FEATURE_NO_TITLE);

        setContentView(R.layout.main);

        mMapView = (MapView)findViewById(R.id.basic_map);

        mDefPoint = new GeoPoint(39041907,-94591640); // The Country Club
Plaza  (random loc)
        mMapView.getController().setZoom(10);
        mMapView.getController().setCenter(mDefPoint);
    }

I also have:

        <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_LOCATION"/

    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_GPS"/>

in the top part of my manifest above <application>

One more thing. My Browser and Maps application on the android Desktop
both work fine. So I don't suspect a network issue.