Thanks, Falco for your insight.

I would like to add a few things, if I may:

First, let me introduce myself:

I am a programmer (only at the PC level, and nothing at the 'mobile'
level, yet) with about 8 years of experience in the IT field.  I have
programmed mostly with Microsoft's .Net (pronounced: Dot-Net)
languages and tools. I am rather new to Java, its tools, etc.

Now that I am attempting to learn Java, I came across a few resources
that you may find interesting.  They are listed below:

1.  Even though there is a learning curve, It's true that Java works
differently than most other non-related/non-similar languages like
Visual Basic (as opposed to similar languages like C, C++, and .Net's
C#).  But, Java is much easier to learn if you are a beginner since
you don't have to 'change' your thought process to learn a different
(than VB, etc) type of language (like an object-oriented one like
Java).

    One example of an object-oriented feature would be to think of a
car.  A car has attributes (or characteristics) like 4 wheels, 4
seats, etc.  A car also has methods (or events) that can be triggered
(or caused to do something), such as 'drive', 'stop', and 'turning'.
These type of features can be almost directly related to your Java
logic, therefore making it easier to learn for beginners.  Of course,
it gets more difficult as you progress, but in the beginning it is
rather easier to learn.

2.  Especially for Android, many of the resources are free which makes
it easy to develop for Android as opposed to programming .Net (where
you have to buy Visual Studio (~$500, in which you can write the logic
for the language) and SQL Server (~$700, the database that VB
accesses)).

    Back to the topic, Java's tools are free. You can install Eclipse
(which is an IDE; a program that you can write the logic in) after
just downloading it.  Then you need to install the Java Virtual
Machine (the JVM; which, I believe, is the engine or framework that
works with your logic/code).  The JVM is also free; it is just a
download.
And for Android, you can get the JDT plug-in for Eclipse as well as
the Android 1.0 SDK (Software Development Kit), both for free; again,
they too are downloads.

3.  I am reading a very good book of which I would like to mention.
It is called 'Java 5: A Beginner's Tutorial'.  It is easy to read, and
has questions at the end of each chapter.  Moreover, it has snippets
(pieces) of example code. It probably also has downloadable code that
you can test and analyze when programming.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Nikhil