Hmm...

I dual boot Hardy and XP, but havent tried the SDK on Hardy yet. You
have to type "adb shell rm data/app/Snake.apk"
Now, are you entering the command while in the $SDKHome/tools folder?
Or is Hardy better than XP and it saves adb into the default shell?

But i guess thats not the main issue, because it cant find the
device... You have to actually have the device active when you run the
command. once the command is ran, the SDK will update itself, no need
to restart.