I need to listen for incoming/outgoing SMS messages in the phone.
there is SMS_RECEIVED broadcast, but nothing for SMS_SEND, so I
figured I might try installing ContentObserver. I don't know how to
send message from emulator, so I tried listening for incoming messages
just for an experiment and then change content URI.  Problem is -
observer is not invoked when SMS is recieved.

I do like this:

- Main activity, this is declared as a field on Main activity
        private Handler handler = new Handler(); /

- onCreate method:
               String url = "content://sms/inbox";
                Uri uri = Uri.parse(url);
                getContentResolver().registerContentObserver(uri, true, new
MyContentObserver(handler));

        class MyContentObserver extends ContentObserver {
                public MyContentObserver(Handler handler) {
                        super(handler);
                }

                @Override
                public boolean deliverSelfNotifications() {
                        return false;
                }

                @Override
                public void onChange(boolean arg0) {
                        super.onChange(arg0);
                        Log.v(TAG, "Notification on SMS observer");
                }
        }

- I then go to telnet, and type "sms send 5554 Hello".  I see
notification popping up on the emulator that new SMS arrived, and
logging messages about "10-15 10:19:08.478: INFO/ActivityManager(50):
Stopping service: com.android.mms/.transaction.SmsReceiverService",
but not my logging message. What's wrong?

Thanks.

Denis