Being a newbie to Anroid, this  might sound dumb and maybe you have tried
it, but have you added permissions to your android manifest xml file?
You might have to add the following line just after the closing
</application> tag
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>

- Sunit

--
- Sunit Katkar