Folks,

I just received my T-Mobile G1 am very pleased, to say the least, and
I expect to develop a couple of applications, probably for my own use.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to install a couple of non-Android Market,
partially developed applications, starting with VNC.  Specifically,
I'm trying to install a VNC viewer and VNC server, both of which
projects, though incomplete, are apparently functional, though I have
know way of knowing as I can't install either on my phone.

Specifically, when I try to adb install <path to androidVNC.apk>, I
receive the following error: INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED

Also, when I try to adb push fbvncserver /data, to move the VNC server
to the phone, I'm told I don't have sufficient permissions.  Then,
when I tried to use the shell to chmod the /data folder, I'm told I
don't have permission to run chmod.  When I try to use su to run chmod
as root, or to logout and login as root or 0, I'm told that I haven't
permission to run any of those commands.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do any of this on a real phone, or
is development limited to using the emulator?

Thanks,
Jeff Broido - Writing code since 1966