> I'm having a helluva time trying to get ksoap2 working with Android.

ksoap2 has not been updated in ~2 years, as far as I can tell from their
SourceForge project's commit logs and news.

> All the samples I see (including the modified .jar with
> AndroidHttpTransport in it) fail because of the relocation of
> org/apache/commons/httpclient/SimplehttpconnectionManager.

Please note that org/apache/commons/httpclient/SimplehttpconnectionManager
is a product of the Apache HTTPComponents project (http://hc.apache.org).
More specifically, that class was in the 3.x edition of HTTPClient and
appears to have been removed when HTTPClient was refactored into the
HTTPComponents. At least, I don't see a class by that name in the current
HTTPComponents code base.

> It seems like a major oversight for Google to not include some way of
> parsing WS correctly!

The Android project incorporates a recent version of the HTTPComponents.
You are attempting to use a project that, apparently, is not up-to-date
with those HTTPComponents. Neither of those pieces of code are Google's,
so it is difficult to see how it is Google's fault if they fail to
interoperate.

What you need is an up-to-date SOAP client library that either uses Java
sockets, HTTPUrlConnection, or a current edition of HTTPComponents to
communicate. It is eminently possible there is no open source SOAP client
that matches those requirements; you may need to research commercial SOAP
clients. Or, you may need to work with others to fork ksoap2 and bring it
up to date with the current HTTPComponents, at which time it probably will
work on Android.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com