>From what i've seen, Android requires J2SE (standard edition), not ME
(mobile edition).

I'm not certain, but since SE has more components than ME, you will
probably need a full version of Eclipse (Europa or Ganymede) that can
handle SE (or EE/enterprise edition).

I believe you can configure Eclipse to use either EE, SE or ME based
on your workspace or project so even if you upgrade, you can still
maintain separate working projects for any previous ME stuff you have,
as well as support Android and other SE projects in separate
workspaces.