I'm not quite there yet, but soon the build system should be ported
to OpenBSD at least, from there FreeBSD should be easy.  Most of the
BSD-related porting is done, it's just the USB parts left, I think.
Since I have yet to receive my phone, I have not prioritized that part,
but rather spent time on the emulator.  Since I'm not just doing the
OpenBSD porting, but also going to 64-bit host support, I have some
other issues I need fixed, and they're not simple to pinpoint at all.

To me it sounds like you are using linux emulation to try to connect
to the phone, and that that doesn't work.  That's not surprising, I have
not looked at FreeBSD, but I would be surprised if the USB device
controls are emulated.  I think you need a native port of the host tools.
If you are up to do such a port I can help.  If you are on a 32-bit i386
host, it's not very hard.

Niklas