Android seems to "accept" some external jars and API's, and crashes
with others.
For instance, it seems to be OK (although I haven't proved this, but I
don't get errors) with jai-core-1.1.13-alpha.zip & jai_codec-1.1.13-
alpha.zip which have API's like:
javax.media.jai.JAI;
javax.media.jai.OpImage;
javax.media.jai.RenderedOp;
com.sun.media.jai.codec.SeekableStream;

but when I try to add a jar (rt.jar - standard java1.6sdk)  which has
things like:
java.awt.RenderingHints;
java.awt.image.renderable.ParameterBlock;

it fails.

Is there a way to know what Android will accept, and what it won't?

Or have I got it wrong, and the only thing Android accepts are the
API's in its documentation and any other functionality needs to be
added via external libraries using JNI or similar?

thanks,
jim