Android a programmers guide:
While this is a quite good book (especially the part about
ContentProviders), it's outdated and many of the examples can't be
done with the current SDK. It's a shame, authors dare to release books
about beta versions of an SDK/Framework, instead of waiting until it's
released. You may consider to buy it, but take in mind that about half
of the stuff won't work and finding the right (new) API can be quite
impossible for a beginner.

Android Essentials:
Same as the last book, it's pretty outdated. Even the very early
examples won't work with the current 1.0 SDK, so it's quite useless
for a beginner imho and not worth a cent. Such irresponsible and
greedy authors should burn in hell for releasing such useless books
for a betaplattform instead of waiting until the plattform is ready
for the public.

Professional Android Application Development:
Personally haven't read this one yet, but at least it seems to be
updated for the version 1.0 of the SDK, so your best bet would be to
buy this one instead of wasting your money for the 2 books above.