Yes, it's a known issue on OS X and I've been unable to reproduce it with
various USB headsets and OS X versions. If this happens to you, can I ask
you to perform some little debugging to help understand the problem better ?
If so, could you just report if using the following options makes the
emulator launch appropriately:

emulator -no-audio  (it should work)
emulator -audio-in none
emulator -audio-out none