I haven't done one of these with a SimpleCurosrAdapter, but I've
worked through it with a Cursor/CursorAdapter.  I just uploaded to the
Developers group what I think is the minimum code for an AutoComplete
with a Cursor/CursorAdapter.

It's here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/5d19c5dd3f28307d

Hope it helps.