Hey SNH

What helped me a lot with getting to know Java was the preparation
book for the SCJP-Exam (Sun Certified Java Programmer) written by
Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates:

http://www.amazon.com/SCJP-Certified-Programmer-Java-310-065/dp/0071591060/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236195139&sr=8-1

I did not read that exact same version, but the one for the 5.0 exam.
The book is very well written and understandable. However, it takes
some time to work through it. What I also can recommend is hanging out
in forums at the JavaRanch (http://www.coderanch.com/forums). They
have forums for many different aspects of Java; even an Android forum
that has been opened lately ;-)

Cheers,
Lorenz