I wouldn't really use this method to be honest. Even the Android
Documentation sugest to use native methods, instead of writing your
own stuff for methods which are already available (i.e. simple date
formating).

[Use Native Methods]
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/performance.html#native_methods