>From http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

If you're developing on Ubuntu Linux, you need to add a rules file:

   1. Login as root and create this file: /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules.

   For Gusty/Hardy, edit the file to read:
   SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

   For Dapper, edit the file to read:
   SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
   2. Now execute:
   chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules

I also had to do something similar in Fedora 10.  Do not mount the
filesystem and you should see the device in the list in Eclipse.  I've had
better luck doing it this way on Linux since the emulator was just eating
away at memory while it was running.

--
Mike Garcia

There is no coincidence!