On Apr 1, 5:13 am, Venkatarangan MJ <mjvran...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The ouput fields are not exactly the same as the standard linux fields.
> Therefore I am not clear on the significance of VSS and RSS. Can some one
> explain on how to interpret these fields?

Virtual Set Size (sometimes abbreviated VSZ) and Resident Set Size.
Googling will turn up some detailed info for Linux.  Here's the high
speed version:

VSS indicates how much virtual memory is associated with the process,
Resident Set Size indicates how many physical pages are associated
with the process.

VSS is generally meaningless on Android.  If I memory-map a 1MB file,
VSS grows by 1MB, but I haven't used any resources (other than entries
in a virtual mapping table).

RSS is partially meaningless on Android, because it doesn't identify
pages shared between multiple processes.  If process A has an RSS of
2MB, and process B has an RSS of 2MB, it's possible that there are 4MB
of physical pages occupied.  It's also possible that there are only
2MB of physical pages occupied.

There's a "procrank" tool available on engineering builds that adds
two new values: PSS and USS.  USS is the count of pages that are
unique to that process.  PSS is RSS reduced by a percentage according
to how many processes share the physical pages.  For example, if there
are three processes sharing the same 6MB region, each process will
adjust their RSS count by 6MB, but only add 2MB to their PSS.