I don't think a Gallery would work for what I'm trying to do.

I've attached something of a schematic of what I'm trying to do to this
reply. Hopefully it attaches fine.
It's a crude diagram, but it should convey the intent.

In case the image doesn't show up, here's a description:
In the default tab view, the tab names and icons show up at the top of the
screen. What I'm trying to do, is to have the tabs show up on the left (or
right) of the screen instead. The idea is to have them take up horizontal
space, rather than vertical space. This would be very useful when the phone
is in landscape mode.

Does this make more sense?

--
Gopalkrishna Sharma