DemOlitioN wrote:
> I found a tutorial from Apress called 'Apress Android Tutorials July
> 2008' and found an example that was about 90% similar to what i want
> (with the source code) but when i try it i get errors and I cant find
> a way to contact Apress(site is down etc)

That tutorial is rather old from the standpoint of Android. Most
tutorials written before September 2008 will require some amount of
modification to work on current Android SDK editions.

> The example was called Chapter 5: Loading a List from the Web. when i
> use eclipse with the source, the error i get is "UIThreadUtilities
> cannot be resolved". I noticed that when i excluded the rest of the
> code and specify to import UIThreadUtilities it doesnt work.

That class was removed from the SDK, IIRC.

> 2. recommend an alternative way for me to pull info from a URL(or php
> page) or a database.

Use a more up-to-date resource!

There are many open source Android projects on code.google.com and
github.com. Many of these download data off of the Web. For example,
there projects in the apps-for-android project on Google Code that work
with Flickr's API.

There are several books on Android, at least some of which have their
source code available for download, and some of which cover HTTP
operations. For example, you can download the source code for my book
off of http://commonsware.com/Android/. Other books and programming
resources can be found on my knol:

http://knol.google.com/k/mark-murphy/android-programming

For HttpClient proper, there are examples out on their site:

http://hc.apache.org

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books.html