You have an interesting concept of platform hacking I guess. I don't mean
"running a new image." (Or are you saying that new releases leap, fully
formed, from the head of the android statue and nobody at google does any
development on them? While that would explain some things, I find it
unlikely. :) ..)

I mean, specifically, putting outside platform developers on the same
footing (device-wise) as the google developers. If cupcake uses a new rild,
new radio firmware, gl library, or what have you, why do external developers
have to hack and tape to get a working image? It is what the device was sold
for!

(Yes. Some platform devs inside google use only the emulator. Thats great.
But for a lot of things, the emulator is very limited - that is why platform
hackers were encouraged to buy an adp1. And realistically, its been proven
pretty well that you can't even do basic app dev on just the emulator -
without testing on a phone, you'll never have a working app.)