this is probably to audio. Can you tell me if starting the emulator with
"emulator -audio none" does solve the issue.
If is does, can you try the following values instead of "none":  "alsa",
"oss", "sdl" and "esd" and let me know which work, and which do not.

Note: in certain cases, the EsounD daemon (or equivalent) will go into a
weird infinite loop and freeze the desktop when
quitting the emulator. This generally happens on Ubuntu 6.04, which is
pretty old now.