If you want a linear set of buttons use a LinearLayout.
If you want a grid, simply put a TableLayout in your XML with several
TableRow inside.
You can use ImageButton to have a button with an image in the middle
(use the src attribute).

All the widgets derive from View, which has a "background" attribute
so you can change the background to an image or a gradient on any of
your widgets.

R/