This is more a problem with your laptop and less with the phone.
There is a function in windows xp/vista to turn your existing wired
connection(with a wireless connection on the system) into a hotspot.
Google that and set it up, then you will probably have to access your
network settings on the laptop and turn on *share this internet
connection with the network*.  There is a login security feature that
exists though, im not sure if the android will be able to mesh with it
properly, but its worth a try.  If it cannot, its going to take custom
software to make its own link(then id route that data to the internal
wifi connection on the phone, should save on code)

 - Marak