To clear things up, the phone given away at Google IO was the HTC
Magic (also named the "Ion"; and when someone referred to it as the
"G2" at the fireside chat, the Android guys shivered, and clearly
didn't like that moniker for it).

That phone is fully unlocked, and rooted.  So, it is a true dev phone
(I am not sure if  we can call it ADP2).  I would expect that they
will make this phone available to the masses soon (but it will be
expensive).

The Magic phones given away are showing up on Ebay, if you really want
to buy one (but I won't condone this).

As far as what type of phone you use for development, it is pretty
much up to you.  The hardware is not that important to Android
development (as long as the hardware meets the minimum requirements,
which both the HTC phones do).  Pick what phone you would like
(biggest difference is one has a keyboard, and the other doesn't).

It is also not necessary to have a Dev phone to develop.  Getting a
"locked" phone from a carrier (which comes at a subsidized price) will
be adequate for most people trying to create apps that will run on the
phone.