Hi all,

I have some practical questions.

I might be interested in coding for Android. I have some J2ME programs
that I could port that are very useful.

But I am wondering, why bother? Consider:

1.
Looking at the documentation for Android it seems to me that the
learning curve for working with Android is large.

2.
Looking at the available phones they are all about $500 without a
contract. The USA is in a Recession and $500 is a lot of money.
Compare that to my 3-inch touch screen Sciphone i68+ which cost me
$100 and has MIDP support.

3.
I don't do phone contracts. I have heard that Android phones are
hobbled by the requirement that I'd have to have a contract. I use
prepaid exclusively to keep my phone bills down.

4.
No contract means no data plan. I'm under the impression that the
phone would be hobbled without a data plan.

5.
I can get a Windows Mobile phone for $260, called the CECT M88+. It
will run native apps and J2ME. That's half the cost of an Android
phone.

6.
Regular consumers know we're in a recession. They are going to avoid
expensive phones and long contracts more now than ever. Will $500
luxury Android phones take hold? I'm skeptical.

7.
I am not someone who is easily impressed by Google. There is no "wow"
factor for me in using Android. I'm entirely pragmatic.

Thanks.