You need to get an instance of the SharedPreferences.Editor and carry
out all your operations on it.

Try this.

SharedPreferences.Editor editor = getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE).edit();
editor.putString( "DrinkName" , "chai");
editor.commit();

SharedPreferences prefs = getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE);
String favdrink = prefs.getString( "DrinkName" , "" ); //it should
return chai

Every call to getPreferences( MODE_PRIVATE ).edit() is returning a new
instance of the SharedPreferences.Editor object which is never being
committed, hence you don't see your values being saved.

For more details, check out
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/SharedPreferences.Editor.html

Hope this helps,

Balwinder Kaur
Open Source Development Center
·T· · ·Mobile· stick together

The views, opinions and statements in this email are those of the
author solely in their individual capacity, and do not necessarily
represent those of T-Mobile USA, Inc.