adb -e ....   to talk to the emulator (only works if there is a single
emulator instance running)
adb -d ...    to talk to a real device (only works if there is a single
physical device connected)
adb -s <serial> ...  to talk to a specific device  (where <serial> is either
"emulator-5554" or "HT850GZ54711")