I know the Magic phone I got at IO is unlocked, but it doesn't have
root enabled out of the box (I tried to install an app that required
Root, that wouldn't work).

Is there a specific way I can enable root on the phone (ie. a setting
some where)?  Is this possible on this phone?

I know I can flash a new ROM (which I will be doing at some point
anyway, as I want to try some of the alternatives for the phone), but
I am looking for something quicker and easier.  .