The lack of a physical keyboard was a problem for me on the Magic
(some of my applications - like Teminal wouldn't work).   There are
workarounds, but require some advanced techniques, or downloading
alternative applications.

The lack of a physical keyboard also made flashing a new ROM more
difficult (which may or not be something you chose to do), since there
is not way to hit Alt-L or Alt-R during the reboot process.  Again,
there are workarounds (using Fastboot, etc), but I didn't have success
with them.

The G1 is not spec'ed as high as the magic (it has less internal
memory, and a slower processor).   I don't have resource limitations
with my G1, but some people might.

My personal recommendation would be to get the G1 Dev phone if you
can.  It will be easy to root, if it doesn't come that way anyway, and
has the physical keyboard, which is important for certain applications
and activities.