There are a lot of beginner books out there which are comparable from
the contents.

- Android a programmers guide (Beginner book, got a version from 2008,
make sure to  get a newer release because a lot of things are already
changed in Android)

- Android Application Development (John Lombardo) (Beginner book, I
got the rough cuts version. Has some good information about telephony,
lacks a lot of detailed information)

- Professional Android Application (beginner book, good tutorial. Does
not go in details)

- Android Essential (Beginner book, you can download a 116 page
version for free)

In general, if you have one good beginner book, you are good to go. I
noticed that in most of the beginner books nearly 50-100 are wasted
with setting up Eclipse. After getting some idea about Android  also
look for a more advanced book. Some UI topics which should be covered
in beginner books are not covered in most of these books or only very
short.

--
Roman Baumgaertner
Sr. SW Engineer-OSDC