You are already giving the answer ... In your application you add the
"Upload pic" button in your menu. When you implement the
onOptionsItemSelect method trigger from there your new activity which
is handling the uploading of your picture.

Something like

public boolean onOptionsItemSelected(MenuItem item) {
        switch (item.getItemId()) {
            case R.id.uploadPic:
                <Start your new Activity>
                return true;